The PRESENCE Study is currently looking for participants to evaluate a new investigational treatment to improve memory and thinking in people who struggle with dementia associated with Parkinson’s disease or Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB).
- Are between the ages of 40 and 85
- Are experiencing a change in memory and thinking
- Have an existing diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease or Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB)
- Have a study partner willing to attend clinic appointments with the study participant
There are additional criteria that are reviewed by the study team at the study center at the first visit.
Please take a short survey here to see if you pre-qualify now!
If eligible, participation can last about 14 weeks and requires up to 12 visits to the study center. The clinical site staff can answer any questions you have about this study.
The PRESENCE Study will involve taking the study medication (investigational medication or placebo) one time per day by mouth. The study will also involve visiting the study center up to 12 times and completing study procedures, such as physical exams, blood tests, and the study participant and study partner answering questionnaires about thinking and behavior.
This initial appointment is an opportunity for you to:
- Learn more about the PRESENCE Study. You’ll be speaking with clinical staff at the study center to learn more regarding your participation in this study.
- Ask any important questions you may have. These can be any questions you may have about this study or clinical research in general.
- Determine if the PRESENCE Study may be right for you. After speaking with the clinical staff and learning details about this study, the research staff will confirm if you are willing to participate in the study. If you are willing to participate, the staff will ask you to review and sign a consent form. Then, the clinical staff will perform a series of screening tests to determine if you are eligible to participate. If you’re eligible, you will be given an opportunity to decide if participation is right for you.
This medication is being studied to assess its effects on some symptoms of dementia associated with Parkinson’s disease and Dementia with Lewy Bodies including memory and thinking. If you are eligible and choose to participate in this study, the study center staff will explain when and how to take the study medication.
If you qualify for the PRESENCE Study, you will be randomly assigned to either the investigational medication or a placebo (inactive substance). You have a 3-in-4 chance of receiving the investigational medication, and a 1-in-4 chance of receiving a placebo. Neither you nor the study staff will know your assignment.
The clinical staff will review all of your current medications with you at the clinic. Do not discontinue any medication unless you are advised to do so by the study center staff or your healthcare physician.
The study centers are located in multiple states within the United States, Puerto Rico, and Canada.
There is no cost to you or your insurance provider for participating in this study. If you qualify for this study, you may be reimbursed for a portion of your travel expenses, including meals.
No, health insurance is not needed in order to participate.
Research studies are designed in specific ways to test the investigational medication for safety and effectiveness. One or more of the answers that you provided were outside of the eligibility criteria for this study. This does not mean you will not qualify for different research studies.
Dementia with Lewy Bodies (DLB), is a common type of progressive dementia that affects thinking and memory.
Dementia associated with Parkinson’s Disease, also known as Parkinson’s Disease Dementia (PDD), is caused by brain changes due to Parkinson’s Disease. As the disease progresses, memory and the ability to pay attention become more and more common.